Friday, September 16, 2011

Tracking income vs expenses

I'd like to think that I'm getting better at tracking our monthly income and expenses.  I've created a spreadsheet for each month and have listed all income and expenses expected for that month.  It's definitely helpful to see a visual calendar view of what's coming in and what's going out.

Yesterday was pay day and I'm not sure why, but I made too many payments.  DH gets paid next week and I should have schedule some of the payments for next week.  Instead I find our chequing account with insufficient funds to cover our vehicle/grocery expenses this weekend.  Luckily I was able to transfer funds out of our savings account to cover these expenses.  Next week when DH gets paid, I will transfer the money back into our savings account.

I need to be more careful when making payments so that I don't get caught in a similar situation again.  I'm lucky that there was funds in savings to transfer, else I'd be looking at using credit cards the entire weekend.

Work has been kicking my butt all week.  Luckily it's Friday and I have 1 hr of work left.  I will most likely need to bring my laptop home and work a couple hours overtime this weekend.  Just so that when I come in on Monday, I'm not overwhelmed with my workload.  Doesn't sound like much fun, but it will keep me sane on Monday.

Happy Friday everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment