Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Didn't mean to scare her...

BF and I got together today and she had exciting news.  Her fiance and her have been house hunting for the past year and they found one that they have fallen in love with.  She wasn't really sure what to expect in terms of housing expenses, so I started to list off my current housing expenses:

  • mortgage - approx $1600
  • property tax - approx $300
I had just informed her of the 2 monthly expenses above and that was enough to question her financial readiness to be a homeowner.  Then I added in the monthly utility bills and the costs to furnish a brand new house.  She was a little freaked out.  I ensured her that things would be okay and that they would just have to figure out their budget.  During the car ride home she still seemed very disturbed by some of the monthly housing expenses but I think once the initial shock is over she'll be okay.

I have to admit, adjusting to a budget with high housing expenses takes some adjusting to.  And it's only now that we're finally making the budget work.  Also it wasn't any fun to scare her with the expenses, I think it's good that she has a better idea of what to expect.

It's pay day tomorrow! yay!  First thing tomorrow morning the mortgage and utility bills will get paid and money will be set aside for gas and groceries.  Anything remaining will go towards credit card payments.  I can't wait to see those balances go down.

No comments:

Post a Comment