Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Weekend splurges

In my last post, I mentioned that I received a $180 gas coop rebate cheque which I was going to put towards our savings.  Instead, this past weekend the money was spent on other thing, other non-necessities.  A part of me feels bad that the money didn't go into savings, but another part of me is thinking that on the positive side of things, we didn't take money out of our savings or using any credit cards for money that was spent this past weekend.

In terms of what we spent most of our money on this past weekend?
Here's the breakdown:

$59.27 - oil change.  Bad news is that we need to take the jeep in to have the transmission line checked, they said that it was leaking.

$78.08 - eating out.  We went for All-you-can-eat-Sushi.  It was really good.  That meal itself cost just over $50, but it was well worth it.  I can say with confidence that I've had my fill of sushi for the next month or so.

$23.10 - Ruckers.  J is turning 3 this Sunday and so we were thinking of possibly inviting some friends and their kids to Ruckers (an arcade type of place with games that spit out tickets that you later redeemed for treats).  We went to check out the place and in doing so, spent $23.10 on game tokens.  The kids had lots of fun, heck I had alot of fun playing some of the games but for a 3 year old's birthday party, it didn't make sense, as alot of the games were for older kids.

$71.50 - new dress pants and shoes, for me.  I really wasn't looking for new pants or shoes, but there caught my eye.  And then I did the worse thing possible, I tried them on, and fell in love. hehe..  The heel height of the platform heels are higher than I've worn before, so it'll be interesting to see how I do when I wear them at work for the first time. (tried uploading a picture of them, but I keep getting an error)

$47.02 - DH also found a pair of shoes that he wanted to buy.  Couldn't say no since I had just purchased a pair.

$31.75 - candy and dark chocolate (oh and lotion too) - we let the kids pick up some candy while we were out on Saturday, and then I stopped by Shopper's Drug Mart and picked up 3 tubs of Vaseline Creamy Lotion and 5 (yup... 5!) dark chocolate bars.  I had a craving, bad idea to go to the store with a craving.

$58.02 - groceries and pizza.  My cousins cooked up some spaghetti and steak on Sunday night and invited us over, so we decided to bring a pizza.

So in total, this past weekend we spent:  $355.31!
OUCH! that's a huge number, but again, no savings was touched and no credit was used.

The oil change and groceries were part of our budget and a portion of eating out was also in our budget (since we go out to eat once on the weekends)

Late last week I was feeling very lost with our budget and with the recent overspending this past weekend, I know that I need to get focused or else things can go downhill from here very fast.  I need to set aside 30 minutes each morning to go through our expenses and to update my blog so that I can stay on top of things.

With J's 3rd birthday coming up, this will be a bit of an expensive weekend, but I am determined to not go completely overboard.  Simple decorations and simple cake and alot of good food.

No comments:

Post a Comment