Monday, November 28, 2011

Oh well.. at least I tried

I took last Friday off so I came into work today with my phone light blinking, indicating that I had voice messages to listen to.  The first message wasn't very important.  The second however, was Angela from HR, she was calling me to inform me that the position of Assistant Manager that I had applied for had already been filled (not by me).

When I first saw the job posting and read through the qualifications, I wasn't sure if I met the requirements for the position, so I didn't even think about applying.  A couple weeks later, the job posting was republished, so I thought maybe I should give it a try.  Even though I didn't meet all the requirements, maybe I'd still be a good candidate.  And I knew that if I didn't apply I'd wonder "what if" afterwards.  So I went ahead and applied for the position.

Earlier in October, I was invited to an interview and I think it went quite well.  I was informed that they were hoping to make a decision by October 31st.  When October 31st came and I didn't hear any news about the position, I emailed the lady who had interviewed me and she informed me that they had not yet made a decision.  I took this as good news, it meant that I was still in the running.

A few weeks flew by, and only last Friday did I finally hear about the position already being filled.  Although I didn't really have my heart set on getting the job, I was starting to get excited about the possibility of moving into a manager role.  There were a few moments where I knew that I wouldn't be ready to leave my current role and team.  And a part of me was secretly hoping that I wouldn't be offered the position so that I wouldn't need to make the decision to leave where I currently am.

It still hurts a little that I didn't get the job.  But I'm glad that I applied for it and went through the interview process, it was definitely good practice.

I am looking forward to moving into a leadership/manager-type role in my current department and hope that I can see some upward movement in the next year.

I sent a text message to DH as soon as I heard the voice message.  He called me right away, I guess he was a little worried that I'd be really sad about it.  I told him I was ok and that there will always be a next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment